Monday, February 24, 2014

In the studio with... Emily Hart



My name is Emily Hartwell McPhee, and I founded the clothing and jewelry line Emily Hart. I am based out of my home on Salt Spring Island, off the west coast of Canada. I make items inspired by nature, using unique materials, both with an interesting colour and texture. My line is not only about what fashion should look like, but rather about a personality that is combining these things into statements to wear. 

Thrive: What got you started on this creative path and how long have you been at it?

Emily: I have been creating jewelry for about 5 years now, and recently after graduating from Blanche MacDonald’s Fashion Design program have been making clothes. 

T: What is your favorite thing about being a business owner?

E: The freedom to create what I want to create, making items that are unique to me. 

T: Explain your creative process.

E: I am inspired by every day adventures, whether it be a walk outside in the woods, along a beach, or a trip to the city. Then work on the product at hand. If it is a piece of clothing, I sketch out what I want to make, draft a pattern, cut out the fabric, sew, alter the pattern, cut out the fabric, sew, and hopefully end up with what I want. Sometimes I have to adjust the pattern multiple times. But it always leaves me with a better piece, then I know it fits to perfection. 

T: What keeps you motivated?

E:Talking about what I am working on with family and friends. My boyfriend is also a great help. He keeps me on track and gets me excited about what I’m working on next. 

T: When the sky is falling and work is overwhelming what do you do to relive stress?

E: I write out what is bothering me and read it over. It helps me to go over what is bothering me. 

T: What song are you listening to RIGHT now?

E: Carla Bruni. 

T: What was the last movie that you watched?

E: The Dark Night.

T: Favorite thing about your studio space?

E: That is has all my inspiration everywhere, and that it is my own. I can go there and be as creative as I want to be. 

T: What’s the best advice that you have been given?

E: Not really advice, but more of a quote I found that has really motivated and inspired me, “Never let the things you want, make you for get the things you have”. It helps me remember and focus on all the good things, oppose to the bad. Stay positive about anything and you will succeed.

That's Emily Heart! Here at Thrive we love having Emily around, nothing like a good visit to chat about new ideas with a fellow designer! Like what you see, Stop by Thrive anytime and we would be happy to show you what pieces have been crafted by the hands of Emily herself! 




No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...