Monday, February 17, 2014

In the studio with... Winston



My name is Sam Kraus and I am a maker and business owner. I live in Marin County, just north of San Francisco where I produce T-shirts for local businesses by day, and design and produce men’s clothing and accessories by...well they actually overlap a lot. 

Winston is a men’s clothing company that accentuates the rugged yet sophisticated traits of the Northern California lifestyle. Our products are for guys who feel as comfortable on a 3 pitch climb in Yosemite as they do running from board meeting to board meeting. Our products try to tell that story. I have always been the outdoorsy type; mountain biking, hiking, camping, fishing but I also have a deep rooted passion for clean and functional design. Winston is my outlet for merging these passions.



Thrive: What got you started on this creative path and how long have you been at it? 

Sam: I have always been a tinkerer. My dad is a contractor and from the time I could walk I was interested in making and building. I got the nickname, Hammer when I was little because My dad would bring me to job sites and I would walk around hammering stuff for fun. More recently though, I started screen printing in 2007 on the floor of my college dorm room and never stopped. 

T: What is your favorite thing about being a business owner? 

S: Probably my favorite and the worst thing about owning a business is that in the beginning, you have to make all the decisions. I am getting better at delegating that though.

T: Explain your creative process. 

S: My creative process takes more than one. I get inspiration from a lot of places, get valued opinions from people I trust, pool it all together, weed out the week links and then proceed to make. I wouldn't call myself an artist because I think about my projects way too much rather than just experimenting and seeing what happens.

T: What keeps you motivated?

S: Relationships and new connections with people that inspire me.  That and a few espressos.

T: When the sky is falling and work is overwhelming what do you do to relive stress?

S: Go for a bike ride, or turn up the music and make a bag.



T: What song are you listening to RIGHT now?
S: Matilda by ALT-J

T: What was the last movie that you watched?
S: Intouchables, highly recommended

T: Favorite thing about your studio space?
S: My big 5x8’ cutting table and my new copper rivet snippers.

T: Whats the best advice that you have been given? 
S: Never Stop Creating  and  Pay Yourself First (Still working on the later)

That's Winston! Here at Thrive we love the overall image, design, and function that builds Winston into the brand that it is! We will be carrying plenty more of there products in the near future. At the moment we have plenty of there great bags you can pack full of veggies at the farmers market or take on a pic nic! So pop in and say hi, and grab yourself some Winston items.


No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...