Wednesday, March 12, 2014

In The Studio With... Lost Arrow Adornment Co.


I am Laura Mutsaers founder and creator of Lost Arrow Adornment. I am a jewelry designer, maker and stay at home mother of one amazing little girl. I grew up by the sea on Vancouver Island, did a couple of stints on Salt Spring Island and now live in the mountains in the beautiful, creative community of Nelson BC. I love the ocean, but I feel at home here. My little family and I live in a rural community where we have chickens, enjoy a surplus of snow in the winter and gardening in the hot and sunny summers. Being able to spend so much time with my daughter is something I am so grateful for, but creating is something that is just for me, a 100% necessity. The fact that people have been responding so positively to the designs I create overwhelms me with joy, and I love seeing people loving and wearing the pieces I create.

Thrive: What got you started on this creative path and how long have you been at it?

Lost Arrow Adornment: I have made jewelry on and off since my teenage years, but I really got back into it when I was in my late stages of pregnancy, I really felt a surge of creativity.


T: What is your favorite thing about being a business owner?

L: I love having creative control over the direction of it. For instance, I thought about the name for a long time and decided on Lost Arrow Adornment, because I knew that down the line I want to expand from just jewelry. Adornment leaves the door open for a multitude of options, and I have already been working with a friend on some accessory and clothing designs.



T: Explain your creative process.

L: A lot of times I get inspired by the materials, and instead of sketching, I sit at my work table to play and see what happens. I am learning how to focus more on production, deciding what designs to replicate and sell as part of a line. It's hard for me though, I like making different things and OOAK items. Selling in stores has been the most successful for me, but it's nice to have etsy as a platform to list items that wouldn't necessarily suit a store. I find inspiration in modern design as well as vintage and try to put my own spin on it.

T: Favorite thing about your studio space?

L: Well, I have just moved my studio so I have some work to do on it still, but it's the best space I've had to work in so far. It's bright, warm, relatively spacious and best of all, I won't be packing it up again for many years to come.

T: What keeps you motivated?

L: I guess my motivation would come from my deep desire to create. I also owe a lot of my motivation to a friend of mine, we get together and bounce ideas off each other and work on projects together. Also, making sales is always a great motivator of course! I have to admit, it can to find the time and at the end of the day I mostly just want to cuddle up on the couch with a good show. I have a great network of other friends with children and we help each other out with childcare which helps a lot.


T: What music do you play in your studio get you in the creative mood?

L: Lately I have been really into the play lists on Songza. My favorite right now is the "Produced by Danger Mouse" playlist, he's a bloody genius I tell you! Give it a listen, click here!





T: Whats the best advice that you have been given?
L: If you find something you love doing, take a chance and pursue it.

T: When the sky is falling and work is overwhelming what do you do to relive stress?
L: Chocolate, music, dancing, cuddles

T: What is your favorite place in the world?
L: At this point I haven't travelled the world that much, but we are planning a trip to Nicaragua next winter. I would say that my favorite place so far is the Kootenays, I do really love visiting Tofino too, it's magical.

T: Laura thanks for your time. We love carrying your pieces here at Thrive! Thanks for reading, and if you love Lost Arrow Adornment stop by Thrive and we will find you something unique. 





No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...