Monday, July 7, 2014

Current Obsession: House Plants

Over the past month if have become happily obsessed with house plants! Prior to my current living situation I have always had plenty of outdoor space to play in. Also, before Thrive, I was a part time gardener. Therefor, I never had much time for plants indoors..... they belonged outdoors... I thought.

Fast forward to today, I live in a sunny apartment on a private property with immaculately manicured garden space outside for me to enjoy, but nothing for me to do. So, as the sun shone brighter and the days grew warmer I found I had a longing to nurture something. So, I got hooked on house plants. In the last month I have purchased six unique gems to care for in my living room. Which now has a tasteful amount of plants. Yet, I fear that if I buy more I may become the crazy plant lady that lives in the jungle apartment. Oh well, at least I will be happy! ha! 

So, I just thought that I would share with you some unique house plants that are more like sculptures as well as some tips on caring for them. Also, if you don’t have any house plants, go buy some! They range from $5-$10 and don’t be limited by things that are supposed to be indoors. Buy what you like, plant it in a pot were it will be happy, care for it, and watch it grow. Its fun! 

Air Plants - Tillandsia

There are around 540 species of these evergreen flowering perennials. They originate from the lush mountains, hillsides, deserts and forests of Central and South America, the Caribbean and the southern United States.  











Air plants are the first nifty plant on the 'to buy' list for new house plant connoisseurs due to the fact they are nearly impossible to kill. However, contrary to there name, these plants do live on water, not air. Confusing right! Air plants take a bit of care in order for them to Thrive, yet they are also okay with a little neglect every once in a while. So the growth of your plant really depends on the care you give it. (like most things in life!)

Watering: Air plants need to be watered 2-3 times per week. Misting there leaves is not enough, it will work in a pinch, but proper watering should take place with their roots soaking in water for about 2-4 hours depending on the size. Also, be sure to let the roots fully dry before watering again. I find it best to water in the morning. You will be able to see a change in the colour and moisture content of the plants leaves once watered. Its gratifying to watch the leaves slowly change colour!

Light: Avoid all day direct sunlight, air plants do best with a few hours of direct sunlight a day. But they do like the light, so put them in a bright corner of the room! 

I have mine in a window, that gets direct sunlight for half the day, yet the window is open which helps with air flow and cooling so the leaves don't get burnt. 

Succulent Terrariums

These terrariums are made by Score + Solder out of Pemberton B.C




Many find succulents to be the ideal houseplant because they are very forgiving plants, and need very little maintenance. Succulents actually tend to thrive on neglect. How can this be? Succulents live in arid environments and need very little water.  When placed in a glass terrarium succulents will actually recreate a natural rain cycle and recycle water (Yay Recycling!)  through condensation. 

You can water your succulent by lightly spraying them each week or by dipping their roots in water every two weeks. Succulents in closed terrariums need even less water because they are able to recycle water for about a month ** It is actually better to underwater your succulent rather then overwatering** Over watering a succulent can lead to rot, which will eventually kill the plant. When under watered the plant will begin to shrivel and droop, but is able to recover quickly once you water them 

Succulents like plenty of indirect light, and do well when placed by a window that experiences indirect light for the majority of the day. Too much sunlight may burn the plant and cause your terrarium to get too warm. 

It is important to maintain your plant to avoid rotting or cramping. If you find that your succulent is outgrowing its limited space trimming will bring them back into bounds it also help the plant produce shorter side shoots that will fill out your plant. Any rotten shoots should also be trimmed and removed. Rotting is a result of overwatering, in a closed terrarium this can be fixed by removing the cover to allow for drying. 

Outdoor plants indoors!

I have always been in love with the elegant shape of a Hosta Leaf. They are so simple yet so bold. So, even though they are considered a garden plant I decided I wanted one in my living room! They are fairly low maintenance requiring regular watering and the occasional fertilizer. Hostas do not like direct sun, so place them in a location away from the window, but still a bright room. Mine is quite happy on a shelf in my living room. The Hosta shown below is a Blue Hosta, one of my favourites for its grey/blue undertones and simple colour palate. 


Purple Heart is a tropical plant native to the gulf coast of Mexico. When I bought this unique plant a month ago in a local nursery I was drawn to its deep purple leaves and rubbery texture. Little did I know this plant was going to triple in size in one month! Originally planted in a small pot I have had to move it to a hanging basket as it has long trailing limbs. 

Purple Heart is commonly used as a ground cover in shady areas, however if not maintained it can take over. As a house plant it has been found to be exceptionally effective at improving indoor air quality. I highly suggest finding one of these little beauties to grow indoors from a hanging basket as they grow fast, are easy to care for and fun to look at!

All that said, go get a house plant! I think herbs and tomato plants are also fun to grow indoors, and think thats what I will get next! 















No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...